Legendary's Godzilla 2014 News, Updates, And More IDW's Godzilla: Rulers Of Earth And Other Kaiju Comic News, Previews, And More Pacific Rim News, Updates, And More X-Plus, S.H. MonsterArts, And More Kauji Toy News, Previews, And More Kaiju Battle's Creature Feature: Learn All About The Many Kaijus

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sinestro Writer Cullen Bunn Talks Godzilla

From CBR

Note: I Was checking out this interview as a big Green Lantern fan (my GL blog The Brightest Day) and was pleasantly surprise to find this as part of the conversation.
CBR: I imagine you're eagerly anticipating the upcoming "Godzilla" movie.

Cullen Bunn: I am. I've actually tried to avoid watching anything beyond the teaser because I know I'm going to see it anyway.

CBR: Well, now we need to run down you favorite Godzilla opponents.

Cullen Bunn: There's a few. I think MechaGodzilla probably goes down as my favorite, in all of his different incarnations. I also have quite a fondness for Gigan, because my dad took me to see a Godzilla double feature at the movie theater one time, and that was one of the features. So I have a lot of nostalgic connection to that one.

CBR: Do you prefer the campier Showa era or the darker -- yet still totally campy -- Heisei and Millenium eras of the franchise?

Cullen Bunn: I like it all, for different reasons. I like the campy stuff because that was what was available to me as a kid. Then it disappeared for me for a while. Then there's that second era, which I guess started with "Godzilla: 1985" [also known as "Return of Godzilla"] with Biollante and the new Mothra movie. Everything between 1985 and "Godzilla vs. Destoroyah." That's my favorite era. I went back and watched them not so long ago, and some of them were not as good as I'd remembered, but I still enjoy that period. They made Godzilla bad again, and they were almost like superhero movies. Very big and dramatic.

CBR: For me, the campier the better. I also enjoy Godzilla as a hero rather than a villainous force of nature, though I love the metaphor or the original "Gojira." Do you remember the one where it's all in a little kid's head?

Cullen Bunn: Oh yeah. "Godzilla's Revenge."

CBR: Yes. He's being bullied and the yakuza are after him. So he takes comfort in daydreaming about Monster Island and Godzilla's son Minilla, who looks like TV's Webster.

Cullen Bunn: That's -- you probably like the most reviled of all Godzilla movies.

CBR: Hey, I watched it at the right time, and I still adore just how wacky it is.

Cullen Bunn: It's my son's favorite.

CBR: Has he seen any "Gamera?"

He's seen "Gamera the Brave," which is the most recent one. He liked that one as well. And those "Gamera" movies that came out around the same time as those later Godzilla movies remain some of my favorite giant monsters.

Click here to check out the full interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...